Course length: 3 years full time
Next intake: September 2014
Programme leader: Evelyn Stubbs
On our BA Journalism and Media you will study modules covering different elements of journalism alongside broader media modules. In your first year you will get to grips with theories related to media and culture and examine the complex relationship between media, culture and power. You will also take a practical, workshop-based module in media production, engaging with industry-standard production methods, and you will take an in-depth look at the newspaper, magazine, broadcast and online journalism industries. Your second year of study gives you the opportunity to build on your media production skills. You will also develop your research skills in preparation for your final year and take a module on global journalism. In your final year, you will look at contemporary journalism in detail and hone your journalism skills. A significant part of your final year will be dedicated to your independent project, which brings together the theoretical and practical elements you have engaged with throughout the degree.
- Media Analysis
- Media Production
- Introduction to Media and Society
- Issues in Journalism
- Research Techniques and Approaches
- Advanced Media Production
- Global Journalism
- Journalism in Practice
- Independent Project
- Contemporary Journalism
- Media Events and News Cultures
- Campaigns and Social Change
Journalism and the media sector are in constant flux. The digital world is changing the face of how the industry operates, offering exciting challenges to the next generation of media professionals. Our course is designed to develop multi-skilled, entrepreneurial graduates, armed with the confidence to thrive in the journalism and media industries. This degree enables you to combine the acquisition of practical skills with a thorough academic grounding in some of the most exciting ideas, theories and knowledge about the media today. You will study both traditional print-based journalism and digital-new media, giving you the chance to think broadly about future career plans. For those of you who are interested in the rapidly changing field of journalism, who want to write, and also to understand how journalism and other forms of media communication work, this degree is ideal. This distinctive programme marries a range of practical journalistic skills with a comprehensive and critical theoretical framework informed by current debates about the social, cultural and political implications of communication.
|Number of Modules||Tuition Fees Per Module||Tuition Fees per Year*||Tuition Fees Total|
|12||AED 12,500||AED 50,000||AED 150,000|
* Fees for full-time enrolment i.e. 4 modules per year.
We normally make offers on 260 UCAS tariff points. GCSE English and Maths with a minimum of Grade C are required, however, the minimum points required for entry are 160 UCAS tariff Points, for more details please click here.
The BA (Honours) Journalism and Media degree has been designed with a specific understanding of the extension of journalistic practices and of communications production throughout the economy. Equally, the continuing development and distribution of digital communications technologies provide an opportunity for students to work innovatively and gainfully as freelancers. The curriculum is designed to equip students with skills allowing them to benefit from this situation. Links with the employment market are arranged through internships with the assistance of the Careers and Employability Service; visiting speakers from relevant sections of the media industry and field trips. Staff with ongoing practical and professional experience all help students in furthering their career goals.
- Two (2) recent passport-size photographs
- Copy of your passport and your UAE residency visa, if available. Candidates who wish to apply for Middlesex University sponsored student visas can findmore information here
- International Foundation Programme: Applicants should submit copies of secondary school records including a certificate of completion and a statement of grades/marks. Students may need to additionally provide results of their GED Tests.
- Undergraduate Programmes: Applicants should submit copies of secondary school records including a certificate of completion and a statement of grades/marks. If you are seeking credits for previous study completed at university/post-secondary level, please provide official documents (e.g. transcripts, certificates, etc) showing the subjects completed and marks/grades achieved along with detailed information on the content of courses and an explanation of the grading system.
- Postgraduate Programmes: Students should submit copies of their undergraduate qualifications including degrees and/or a statement of completion and transcripts showing grades/marks. For the MBA programme, students must additionally provide evidence of minimum 3 years professional full-time work experience. For candidates without a degree, a full description of the jobs is essential, to show clearly your successful career path and the contribution you can make to your postgraduate programme. You must provide information on the employer(s): size of Company (e.g. annual turnover, number of employees, geographical breadth), own responsibilities (e.g. size of budget, number of people reporting to you, to whom you report) and job content.
- Two (2) academic references
- A personal statement (200 words or more)
- Evidence of satisfying the English Language requirements, where applicable.
If you require additional services such as a Middlesex University sponsored Student Visa or housing in our Halls of residences or our Transportation services please indicate this clearly on the application form.
Applications with the supporting documents should be sent to the Admission Office by the required ‘Application Deadlines’ on the following contact details:
Middlesex University Dubai
Room 002, Block 16
Dubai Knowledge Village
PO Box 500697
United Arab Emirates
For admissions related enquiries call: +971 (0)4 3678100 OR +971 (0)4 3751212
To contact us via Fax dial: +971 (0)4 3678043