Anyone applying for a postgraduate programme before 2 August will receive a 10% grant towards the total tuition.
This Master’s programme has been designed for graduates who wish to specialise in human resource management. The programme is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD). In addition, all Middlesex University Dubai courses and programmes are accredited by the QAA in the UK, and licensed by the knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA), Dubai Government. Our MA HRM equips its graduates with the knowledge, skills and competence to a level where they can make a professional and strategic contribution to an organisation’s management of its human resources. The programme helps in developing a practical understanding of, and relevant skills in, functional human resource management areas. It aims to explore key strategic human resource issues facing contemporary organisations.
Why Middlesex University Dubai?
- The only centre in the UAE that offers CIPD approved postgraduate qualifications which entitles you to apply for Associate membership of the CIPD
- A multicultural student cohort working in a range of industries and businesses performing a variety of HR roles.
- Innovative learning and teaching methods used by our faculty from London and Dubai campuses
- A work friendly part-time mode of study
- A postgraduate programme which enables you to make a significant strategic contribution to Human Resource Management within an organisation
- Highly professional and committed staff involved in the design and delivery of the programme
- A conveniently located campus in Knowledge Village in Dubai
- Supported by extensive electronic resources, including access to on-line journals and teaching materials
- Part time, evening classes 6:30 to 9:30 on weekdays.
At Middlesex University, Business and Management teaching quality was rated as ‘excellent’ by the Quality Assurance Agency and research quality was rated as being of ‘all-round national excellence’ in the 2001 Research Assessment Exercise.
What is the CIPD?
The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) is the leading professional body for those involved in the field of personnel training and development. Membership of the CIPD is highly respected and widely accepted by employers as a requirement of practice.
What will I gain from this CIPD approved qualification?
- Professional recognition and a route to associate membership of the Institute
- The ability to:
- Implement and manage effective people management and development strategies
- Demonstrate a wide range of management skills, competencies and knowledge
- Exercise greater influence within your organisation
- Demonstrate a greater understanding of the business environment
- Help attract, retain and develop people needed for organisational success
- Effectively manage and communicate organisational change
- Systematically and continuously review personal development;
- And above all to enhance your career in HR
- Once enrolled on the programme the student becomes a Student Member of the CIPD and is entitled to all of the benefits of a CIPD member.
Click here http://www.cipd.co.uk/ for more information on CIPD.
Who is the MA in Human Resource Management for?
The programme has been designed for graduates who have an overarching aim
to develop their knowledge, skills and competencies in the field of Human Resource Management so that they can make a significant strategic contribution to human resource function within their organisation.
What our Students Have to Say
Duration and Delivery Mode
The MA HRM programme is normally studied part-time over two years. The University Academic Calendar consists of two (2) terms a year (click here to see the academic calendar). New students are admitted to the programme in the Autumn Term which starts in September each year and Winter Term which starts in January each year.
Classes are held at our Dubai Knowledge Village campus (Blocks 4, 16, 17, and 19 ) during the week (Sunday to Thursday) between 6:30pm and 9:30pm. You will be expected to attend one session per week per module, except for the Dissertation module in which you will be working individually on your project with some supervised elements. Part -time students will study 2 modules a year and hence will be attending classes on 2 weekdays. Attending scheduled weekly classes is an important requirement for completion of this programme.
MA HRM Schedule (example)
Year 1 (September 2015 – April 2016)
Year 2 (September 2016 – April 2017)
HRM4011 Strategic Human Resource Management
HRM4055 Individual Learning and Development
HRM4040 Total Reward
HRM4050 Resourcing and Management Development
Year 2 (October 2016 – October 2017)
HRM4030 Research and Professional Practice with Dissertation
A variety of teaching methods and assessment methods are used at Middlesex University, and vary depending on the content of the modules being taught. Each module has a detailed module handbook with information on teaching and learning strategies, assessment methods and reading material. In addition, each module has a comprehensive range of online resources available to enhance your studies with us. The success of our Master’s provision is built on the substantial experience of the staff who combine industrial experience with a strong ability to teach, consult and research.
Teaching, Learning and Assessment
There is a range of assessment methods including examinations and coursework, essays, case study assignments and groupwork.
Normally a second class UK honours degree or above, or an overseas equivalent qualification. Applicants without a degree who have practical experience in personnel work will also be considered, but you will need to demonstrate your ability on the basis of courses already attended, references supplied, a 2,000-word essay and an interview.
Click here for details on Application Procedure, Fees and other important information.
On successfully completing MA you will gain membership of the CIPD which will enhance your career and salary prospects within the human resource management profession.
Content and Modules
To successfully complete the MA – Human Resources Management Degree the student should pass the following modules:
Strategic Human Resource Management (30 credits)
The module aims to provide students with a critical understanding and awareness of the internal and external environments and how they impact on organisational and human resource strategies. Strategic human resource management and development will be critically reviewed in terms of its implementation and contribution to the organisation and the interactions of human resource management with other functional groups. The module will also go on to explore and critically evaluate key concepts and theories in organisational behaviour and characteristics and approaches of effective managers and leaders. Students will also be required to critically review the implementation of theory, contemporary working practices and the management of the change process.
Total Rewards (30 credits)
The aim of this module is to introduce learners to the concept and practice of Total Reward. Total Reward is a strategy that organisations adopt to motivate staff by financial and non-financial means, whilst aiming for high performance. All the usual pay and benefits subjects will be covered, together with a substantial input on performance management. The module matches the CIPD professional standards of Performance Management and Reward Management.
Resourcing & Management Development (30 credits)
This module aims to develop students’ awareness of strategic and operational aspects of recruitment, selection, retention and development of employees with a focus on managers. It equips learners with the knowledge and skills required for resourcing and management development within a global context. Planning to enable an organisation to meet its future demands for skills is an increasingly important HR role, and this is central to this module. The module encompasses the development of leadership and management at all levels and draws on the established body of knowledge and theory in both leadership and management and learning and development. This module matches the professional CIPD standards talent management and resourcing, and leadership and management development.
Individual Learning & Development (30 credits)
This module aims to promote an evidence based approach to enabling the development of intellectual, social and professional skills necessary to design and implement effective and fit-for-purpose learning and development interventions to support personal and performance development of individuals in organisations. The module will develop the professional knowledge and skills required to perform effectively in specialist roles associated with design, delivery and evaluation of learning and development. The module will provide students with the experience of a range of learning and development interventions with a specific focus on coaching and mentoring as a management development tool in organisations.
Research & Professional Practice (Dissertation) (60 credits)
This module provides students with knowledge and skills to be an effective HR practitioner. Students are given the opportunity to consolidate and synthesise their learning in HRM through a predominantly self-manage, in-depth study leading to an in-company dissertation. In order to achieve this, it is this module’s purpose to provide students with the knowledge framework and key skills that will not only help them to successfully undertake this dissertation, but that are essential to an HR professional in general. This module matches the CIPD professional standards developing skills for business leadership and investigating a business issue from a HR perspective.
The Professional Practice Development Workshops
In addition to the modules offered we have 8 compulsory Professional Practice Development workshops where the focus is on skills development. The purpose of this is to provide students with a broad range of learning experiences as possible in order to maximize students learning and development on the programme.
Total tuition fees for the MA Human Resource Management programme is AED 90,000. Attractive payment plans are available for students. For more information please check our website or alternatively contact our Admissions Office.
- Two (2) recent passport-size photographs
- Copy of your passport and your UAE residency visa, if available. Candidates who wish to apply for Middlesex University sponsored student visas can find more information here
- International Foundation Programme: Applicants should submit copies of secondary school records including a certificate of completion and a statement of grades/marks. Students may need to additionally provide results of their GED Tests.
- Undergraduate Programmes : Applicants should submit copies of secondary school records including a certificate of completion and a statement of grades/marks. If you are seeking credits for previous study completed at university/post-secondary level, please provide official documents (e.g. transcripts, certificates, etc) showing the subjects completed and marks/grades achieved along with detailed information on the content of courses and an explanation of the grading system.
- Postgraduate Programmes : Students should submit copies of their undergraduate qualifications including degrees and/or a statement of completion and transcripts showing grades/marks. For the MBA programme, students must additionally provide evidence of minimum 3 years professional full-time work experience. For candidates without a degree, a full description of the jobs is essential, to show clearly your successful career path and the contribution you can make to your postgraduate programme. You must provide information on the employer(s): size of Company (e.g. annual turnover, number of employees, geographical breadth), own responsibilities (e.g. size of budget, number of people reporting to you, to whom you report) and job content.
- Two (2) academic references
- A personal statement (200 words or more)
- Evidence of satisfying the English Language requirements, where applicable.
If you require additional services such as a Middlesex University sponsored Student Visa or housing in our Halls of residences or our Transportation services please indicate this clearly on the application form.
Applications with the supporting documents should be sent to the Admission Office by the required ‘Application Deadlines’ on the following contact details:
Middlesex University Dubai
Room 002, Block 16
Dubai Knowledge Village
PO Box 500697
United Arab Emirates
For admissions related enquiries call: +971 (0)4 3678100 or +971 (0)4 3751212
To contact us via Fax dial: +971 (0)4 3678043