Thursday 9 April 2015
Middlesex University Dubai, Block 16
Abstract Submission Deadline Sunday 1 March 2015
Dubai is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world… and Horror, it can be argued, is the film genre that globally carries the broadest, most diverse cultural appeal.
The Film Programme at Middlesex University Dubai is proud to announce its first Film Conference, focusing on the multicultural appeal of the Horror genre in contemporary film, and throughout its century-long history.
From the dark shadows of German Expressionism to the rich colours of Britain’s Hammer to the vibrant Giallo of Italy to the recent boom in Asian horror, the cultural spectrum of Horror is arguably unmatched by any other film genre.
This conference seeks to explore, from as many angles as possible, the whys and hows of this global appeal.
- Gender Roles and Representations
- The Horror Genre and Globalisation
- Horror as Content in the New Digital Media
- The Horror Narrative and its Conventions, Past and Present
- The Hybridisation of the Horror Genre
- Spectatorship and Horror
- The Philosophy of Horror
- Power, Honour and Respect in Horror
- The Portrayal of Race, Ethnicity and Cultural Diversity in the Horror Genre
- Pulp Horror
- Current Trends, Franchises and Remakes of the Horror Film
- International Influence and Audience Issues of the Horror Film
- Bollywood and Horror
DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACT SUBMISSIONS
The deadline for submissions is midnight (GMT), Thursday, February 19, 2015. Notifications of the outcome will be sent on or before March 12, 2015.
Abstracts should not exceed 200 words and be submitted in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration for the conference will open in March; an alert and booking link will be sent.