Senior Lecturer,MA Marketing Communications,Business School
Office: Room 306
Phone: +971 4 4330489
Fax: +971 4 3672956
- PhD Strathclyde University UK 2005
- MPhil Strathclyde University UK 1998
- B.Ed Huddersfield University UK 1996
- Post-Graduate Teaching Certificate (PGCE) University of Huddersfield, UK
- Higher National Diploma (HND), Hotel Management, Leeds Polytechnic, UK
Marketing, Consumer Behaviour, Strategic Marketing, Marketing Research, Tourism & Hospitality Management
Marketing, Culture and Organisation, Service Quality, Curriculum Development
Awards And Achievements
Emerald Literary Guild 1996 Best Journal Articles – Highly Commended Paper, International Journal Of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol 8 /11 pp l6-26; January 1996 MCB Press, UK.
Teaching & Learning Award HKPU 2000
Membership of professional bodies and associations
Fellow of the Institute of Hospitality
- Sutton J and Bilbow G.T. (1995). The Hospitality Business, Hong Kong: Longman Asia.
- Sutton J and Bilbow G.T (2003). English at your Service; Hong Kong: Pearson Education North Asia Ltd.
- Sutton J and Bilbow G.T (2006). English at your Service; Chinese Version – Hong Kong: Pearson Education North Asia Ltd.
- Sutton, J. (1996). All in the garden is not dim sum. In Edwards, J.S.A. (Ed), Culinary Arts and Sciences I, Global and National Perspectives, (pp. 363-374), Southampton: UK, Computational Mechanics Publications
- Sutton, J. (1997). One hotel – two systems. In Teriovski, M., (Ed). Relevant Research in Quality Management I (pp. 227-235) Melbourne, Australia: Monash University Quality Management Research Unit.
- Sutton, J. (1998). Towards a service quality framework through employee empowerment. In Teriovski, M. (Ed). Relevant Research in Quality Management II (pp. 197-205) Melbourne, Australia: Monash University Quality Management Research Unit,
- Sutton, J. (1998). The rise and fall of Western style fine dining restaurants: the Hong Kong case. In Edwards, J.S.A. and Lee-Ross D. (Eds). Culinary Arts and Sciences II, Global and National Perspectives, (pp. 155-167), Southampton: UK, Computational Mechanics Publications
- Dewald, B.W.A. and Sutton J. (1999). Hospitality employee\’s empowerment for total quality service and TQM; In Ho Samuel K. M. (Ed). TQM and Innovation; (pp. 98-106) Hong Kong, HKBU School of Business
Refereed Academic Journals
- Sutton, J. and Huyton J.R. (1994). A cultural clash, revolution or reform; Australian Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol.1 No. 2 pp 29-35.
- Huyton, J.R. and Sutton J. (1995). A host of guests and the guests of hosts. Estudios u Perspectivas en Turismo. Vol. 4 No. 2 pp 101-113.
- Sutton J. and Huyton J.R. (1996). Employee perceptions of the hotel sector in the Peoples Republic of China. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 8 No. 1 pp 16-26.
- Sutton, J. (1996). A profile of expatriate managers in China\’s IJV hotels, Asia Journal of Business and Information Systems. Vol. 1, No. 2 pp 175-190
- Sutton, J. and Tse, P. (1997). Curriculum issues in the relationship between language, culture and learning: the case of food and beverage management teaching, Journal of Vocational Education and Training. Vol.49 No. 3 pp.367-384,
- Mwaura, G.N. Sutton, J. and Davis D.J. (1998). Corporate and National Culture – an irreconcilable dilemma for the hotel managers, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol 10: No. 6, 1998; pp.212-220
- Pang C.K., Davis, D.J. and Sutton J. (1998). Doing business in China- the art of war? International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol 10 No.7 pp.272-282
- Sutton, J. and Dewald, B.W. A. (1999) Does Culture Make A Difference? The Quality Magazine. Vol. 8 No. 5 pp.140-148
- Dewald, B.W. A. and Sutton J. (2000). Hospitality employee\’s empowerment in Hong Kong and the Chinese mainland; Journal of Quality Assurance in Tourism and Hospitality, Vol. 1 No. 1 pp.57-65
- Sutton, J. (2002). Out of the crisis again: a fresh look at the practical advantages of environmental management systems in hotels: Tourism Today; Vol. 1 No. 2 pp. 138-158
- Sutton, J., Verginis, C. and Eltvik, L. (2004) Empowerment, customer satisfaction and the almighty dollar: an investigation into the operational implications of empowerment strategies in multi-cultural hotel environments. Journal of Foodservice Business Research, Vol.; 6; No.3; pp. 77- 104